Skip to main content

Today I received an email which began as follows:

On behalf of the Board of Education, the Department of Human Resources with the Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS) is pleased to offer you an Advance Contract for the 2014-2015 school year.  You are receiving this advance contract because we have identified you as an outstanding teacher.  We look forward to supporting your efforts in the classroom making a difference in the lives of students in BCPS.
Officially I do not YET have a school assignment, but I am was recruited for a specific school, and I am pretty much assured of going there.

The principal, a former Maryland Secondary Principal of the Year, is an old acquaintance who recruited me for my current position, but then chose to accept his current job.  I knew he was leaving before I accepted my current job, which had been designed for me.

This will be an equivalent commute - of about 45 miles each way.

I will make somewhat more than I had been making, the exact amount to be determined after I submit verification of my teaching experience (I have already submitted by DD214, military discharge papers).

I tentatively know my course load
3 section of AP Economics, combined Macro and Micro (which I have not previously taught)
1 section of AP US Government & Politics
2 Sections of Local, State, and National Government to students identified as talented and gifted

I am expected to challenge the bright students who have assigned to me, to take them beyond where they think they can go, to get them to think more deeply, to express themselves more precisely and persuasively.

In line with that, I may also become the sponsor the Speech and Debate club/team.  While I have never coached a debate team, I have coached a mock trial team, and I have organized formal debates in my classes.  I also have experience in public speaking, dating back to winning a prize at an American Legion Oratorical Contest on the US Constitution when a high school junior, including speaking at political gatherings on behalf of a candidate for President, and being paid to speak on education and on stewardship.

I had ten days to sign this advanced contract.  It was possible within that window I might have been offered a job to which I could walk to work, in my own community, for substantially more money, and Virginia did not sign on to either Common Core or Race to the Top.  But then I would not be working for a principal who knows me, who is willing to give me room to function in the way I need to in order to meet the needs of my students.

So I signed the contract within hours of receiving it, and will fax it in sometime tomorrow morning.

I will have the comfort of teaching a subject I know well - government - and the challenge of taking on a course I have never taught - economics (although I do know a fair amount, and a good chunk of government deals with economics).

I consider myself very lucky.

And it certainly is nice to be told  as I am hired that I am "identified as an outstanding teacher."

By the way, the school system, Baltimore County Public Schools, has the honor of being the home of the newly announced National Teacher of the Year.

So I will continue to be teacherken, not merely in my writing, but in my primary purpose - the teaching, challenging, supporting and occasionally inspiring of young people.

Wish me well.

Peace.

Originally posted to teacherken on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 08:13 PM PDT.

Also republished by Teachers Lounge.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Tip Jar (121+ / 0-)

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it, because what the world needs is more people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

by teacherken on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 08:13:47 PM PDT

•  Congrats! And if you've never coached (28+ / 0-)

Speech Team, you're in for a treat--

Because you get all the disciplines--Dramatic Interpretation, Original Comedy, you name it.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 08:28:14 PM PDT

•  You will always be teacherken to us (17+ / 0-)

That they "identified" you to handle the bright ones gives me hope.

Congrats!

As far as debates go, the American style is all about facts in rolodex type holders, the British style is more about spontaneous ideas and logic.  I like the later better.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 08:29:18 PM PDT

•  Great news!! (15+ / 0-)

How is Leaves on the Curent?  I know she has been ill.  I hope her recovery is continuing.

Lucky students to have you.  Go get them smart!!!!!!

My Brothers Keeper

by Reetz on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 08:42:44 PM PDT

•  I hope your future students will recognize (6+ / 0-)

how lucky they are to have such a dedicated teacher

•  Congratulations, Ken! (9+ / 0-)

I think introducing students to solid economics understanding will be a great thing.  I wish it had been available to me 35 years ago.  I might have had more drive to stick with mathematics if I had seen it applied somewhere outside of my math classes, and I was already interested in the political/sociological/historical part of the subject.  It was only later that I figured out that I had missed that connection between my classes/subjects, and that is something I try to provide my students at the college level.

•  For a deep economics understanding I suggest (5+ / 0-)

Economics - a New Introduction by Hugh Stretton

It may be a bit much even for AP HS students, but IMHO it will help you teach them, especially when they ask profound questions as bright students do.  Stretton is an institutionalist, like Gunnar Myrdal, rather than an econometrician.  He has managed public enterprises and taught on 3 continents IIRC.  He writes with extraordinary philosophical depth beyond the boundaries of the discipline. Stiglitz or Krugman's texts may be more practical for an AP class, but read Stretton.

Here is a review excerpt:

Reaganomics was initially seen as laughable and its policies as some combination of stupid and cruel. Now the policies are taken as common sense, and the economics as the new gospel.

It is that virtually unchallenged economics that Hugh Stretton effectively demolishes in his superb book. He is a great teacher; he writes clearly and without the priestly air so common to economists. His scope is extraordinary in its combination of breadth and depth; by comparison, other texts rightly seem both absurd and pretentious.

Stretton's economics answers the two big questions that serious people have been led to believe economists do answer, but which they really do not: "What do we need to know about how the economy functions?" and "What can and must we do to make it meet human, social, and environmental needs?" Rather than answering such questions, mainstream economics spreads capitalism's big lie: "What's good for business is good for everyone, everything, everywhere: which is then delivered daily by the media and politicians.

Reviewer Dowd then gives a few quotes from Stretton:
      He goes on to say that “bad economic theory can cause as much suffering and death as bad medicine or engineering can,” and lists some of the dangerous beliefs that fill textbooks and serve as an ongoing rationale for public policies. Here are a few:

Monetary restraint alone will stop inflation and then revive employment - in conditions in which it won’t do either.

Reducing public investment will increase private investment - when in fact it will reduce private investment.

Free trade and exchange will make our manufacturers efficient – when in our particular circumstances it will put too many of them out of business, increase long-term unemployment, and wreck our balance of payments.

Cutting wages would increase employment – when it would not.

Shifting taxes off the rich onto the poor will induce the rich to employ more of the poor – which it will not.

And then consider this statement on globalization. You will find nothing like it in any mainstream text:

Globalization…is a program to create private corporate rights to trade, invest, lend or borrow money and buy and own property anywhere in the world without much hindrance by national governments. It would bar governments from most of the common methods of helping or protecting their national industries and employment. It is a winners’ program promoted chiefly by some business interests, governments and neoclassical economists in Europe and the United States. One of its purposes is to intensify international competition for jobs. Together with other Right policies it is likely to maintain some unemployment in the rich countries and reduce the wage rates of their lower-paid workers, and reduce the proportion of secure employment.

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 11:14:00 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Only if you take "free market" as a single (1+ / 0-)
        i saw an old tree today

compound phrase. If you see it as two forces in opposition, then it represents free stuff taken to market for a profit.
        Free market hides both a process and an antagonistic relationship, which is what most Con entities are engaged in.
        The Cons' world is one of opposites in constant conflict. There is no subordination, which is peculiar given the Cons' hierarchical ambitions, and no melding to become one. The Cons don't perceive union nor uniting; only competition that's aimed at mutual destruction.
        Mutual destruction is not, as we used to think, a deterrent to conflict. Rather, it is the recipe for constant struggle. I wonder if contrarians would cease to exist, if they were at peace. Perhaps agitation is their default. Ditto for fear, a desperate agitation.

by hannah on Thu May 01, 2014 at 01:52:49 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  So happy for you and for your students! (11+ / 0-)

My daughter benefited immensely from her debate experience - I think it contributed substantially to her confidence and ability to deal with groups dominated by men. She went on to volunteer as a debate coach when she was in college, and coached debate for students in a working class town, because she thought it was a valuable way for the students to get a handle on critical thinking. Your debate coaching has great potential for developing your women students and ones from less advantaged backgrounds.

She still loves debate - let me know if you would like me to connect you. She took trophies at the national level.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 09:02:32 PM PDT

•  I'm so pleased for you. (9+ / 0-)

Perfect or imperfect, there is something very nice about getting up in the morning and known you have a job to do.

Well done on finding a position that seems to be a pretty good fit with some new adventures.

Wonders are many, but none so wonderful as man.

by Morgan Sandlin on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 09:05:16 PM PDT

•  most of the time (5+ / 0-)

I have to feel that I am able to make a difference, that is, that my job is not so constrained that I do not have the flexibility I need to adapt to the needs of my students.  One reason I am willing to continue with a 45 mile commute for less money than I would make staying in Arlington where I live is that the person recruiting me for the position is very well aware of how I teach:  he served as a counselor and then as an administrative intern in the school in which I taught for 13 years and where I won my big teaching award from the Washington Post.  We also served as assistant coaches in boys soccer under the same man.  He is very aware both of my approach and of my results.

by teacherken on Thu May 01, 2014 at 02:56:02 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Good news for you and your future students! (5+ / 0-)

The most important way to protect the environment is not to have more than one child.

by nextstep on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 09:35:37 PM PDT

•  Congrats Ken (5+ / 0-)

I am always eager to hear of good news!

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 09:39:53 PM PDT

•  Congratulations! (4+ / 0-)

I'm new around these parts, but I've greatly admired your diaries and insight into the teaching profession.  I'm glad that you will continue to be in the classroom, making a difference.

•  Congratulations teacherken. I knew things would (3+ / 0-)

turn out well for you. As my Dad once told me during some hard times, "Don't worry son, cream always rises to the top."

Plus you received a raise out of the whole affair. So looking back on this do you think this "ordeal" might have been a "lucky break?"

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 11:50:28 PM PDT

•  Congrats (3+ / 0-)
    teacherken, StevenJoseph, Oh Mary Oh

and best wishes.

•  congratulations! friend will publish book summer (2+ / 0-)
    teacherken, StevenJoseph

that might be of interest

he wrote the book "The American Revolution of 1800" 40 years ago. It is being revised and will be out in August.

based on the arguments of the founding fathers and directly applies to our current situation

•  Glad you found a position you're excited (6+ / 0-)

about, but 6 sections with 3 preps plus an extra-curriular activity sounds grueling to me.  And top that off with driving 90 miles a day in an urban area.

When we were first married we both had long commutes and vowed never, ever again.  I had to drive, and spouse at least could use rapid transit.  But we decided we didn't want to turn over that large a chunk of our lives to commuting.  And never did again.

Anyway, good luck in your new position.

•  I drive that far now (2+ / 0-)
      StevenJoseph, Oh Mary Oh

rarely a problem in the morning since I get to school so early

can be a bit of a problem going home, but I use it to decompress and reflect

by teacherken on Thu May 01, 2014 at 05:49:48 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Would be healthier and more peaceful (0+ / 0-)

if you were walking or riding your bike, however.

•  well, there were options (0+ / 0-)

I live in Arlington County

there were 6 open social studies positions to which I applied

they closed on Friday.

I had until May 10 to sign the advanced contract I was offered.

I could have rolled the dice and seen if Arlington could get interviews and offers done this next week.

The problem is I could not justify taking time off during the school day for an interview when most of my students sit for an AP exam a week from Tuesday.

I could walk to 4 of the six positions.  The other two are less than a ten minute drive in normal traffic.

Arlington did not take Race to the Top money and did not sign on to Common Corps.

It would pay me about 15,000/year more than the job I have accepted.

So why did I not wait just to see?

I thought it unlikely they could get it done in time.

And I do not know any of the principals for whom I would be working, and given how I push the envelope and take risks, that is important to me.

What if tomorrow all 6 schools call me for interviews?  Well, perhaps I will have some mild regrets, but not really.

Originally my friend the principal for whom I will be working did not expect to have a job he could offer me.  I had resigned from my current position without a job in hand.

Once this was offered, I had to consider whether it was good enough.

Could I have waited until this Friday, May 9?  Of course.

But that would have made life more difficult for the assistant principal who is trying this week to do the scheduling.

It is in a sense my sense of professional responsibility.

I do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the very good.

But had this offer not been made, I would have played out the string, with applications pending at several unique situations, as well as in Arlington and Fairfax County public schools.

by teacherken on Sun May 04, 2014 at 05:56:28 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I understand the factors that went into your (0+ / 0-)

choice, and I apologize if I sound judgmental.  It just sounds like such a grueling pace to me. And as you say, all big decisions have an element of dice rolling and you make the best choice you can at the time you need to make it.

•  Or even rapid transit. (0+ / 0-)

However, glad you found a position where you feel you'll be able to teach as you know how to and want to.

I understand about the decompression aspect of it, but driving in an urban area has its own forms of stress, as you well know.  Now that I have lived in a rural area for more than a decade, I realize when I must drive in a city just how much it takes out of you.

•  congratulations! (1+ / 0-)
    Oh Mary Oh

!!!

•  nice to hear something good about a public school (0+ / 0-)

and a teacher, for change.  Congratulations, teacherken

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Thu May 01, 2014 at 06:12:30 AM PDT

•  I loved being on the debate team. (1+ / 0-)
    Oh Mary Oh

It was the late 60's and our coach was great.  You'll be great, TeacherKen.

If you acknowledge it, you can change it.

by Raggedy Ann on Thu May 01, 2014 at 06:14:35 AM PDT

•  I think it's the kids who are lucky... (2+ / 0-)
    Laurel in CA, Oh Mary Oh

Congrats/sh

•  Wishing you a productive (2+ / 0-)
    Laurel in CA, Oh Mary Oh

and a more peaceful and stable year.

Being attentive to the needs of others might not be the point of life, but it is the work of life. It can be ... almost impossibly difficult. But it is not something we give. It is what we get in exchange for having to die. - Jonathan Safran Foer

by ramara on Thu May 01, 2014 at 06:39:30 AM PDT

•  Congratulations, T and R, teacherken!! (0+ / 0-)

Through thoughts, words and actions, we live the truth we know. -- L. Spencer

by orlbucfan on Thu May 01, 2014 at 06:50:41 AM PDT

•  Wonderful news! (0+ / 0-)

A great teacher is a "pearl without price", as the saying goes.  Glad to hear that you're going to be back in the saddle!

•  They're lucky to get you (1+ / 0-)
    Laurel in CA

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog

by JamieG from Md on Thu May 01, 2014 at 07:30:26 AM PDT

•  I'm happy for .... (1+ / 0-)
    Laurel in CA

both you and some fortunate high school students.  Go rock!!

76.7% of all statistics are made up.

by threegoal on Thu May 01, 2014 at 07:37:58 AM PDT

•  Some fortunate students for next year! (1+ / 0-)
    teacherken

That is good news for you, TK, but even better for some very lucky students. I'm also encouraged that you will have a principal who supports your wise and wide view of education in high school - it's not all about the test scores (though I do not doubt that your students will do just fine at that.) And some college and university teachers will bless you when your students arrive prepared to think critically and to learn eagerly.

•  Good luck.. (0+ / 0-)

Hopefully the commute doesn't wear you down.  It might be only 45 miles, but rush hour traffic can be a bear on the top of the beltway.

•  don't take beltway (0+ / 0-)

I will usually go I-66 to 110 to 395 over 14th St Bridge heading N on 295/kenilworth to BW Parkway

that is what I do now. Currently I go to Baltimore Beltway, go east a bit over a mile get off at 648 and go another mile south

instead I will go west on I-195 as far as it goes, then MD 66 towards school.  It will be about 1/2 mile shorter trip

going by beltway could be faster earlier in the morning, but it is about a 7 mile longer trip, and not one I would attempt going home after school

by teacherken on Thu May 01, 2014 at 08:02:55 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Congratulations & the peace (0+ / 0-)

that comes from a paycheck.  Whew!  You've done very well with all the trials and tribulations.
    Good news all around.

•  Great News! (0+ / 0-)

But I have a problem with superior teachers teaching superior students.

I spent my Freshman year of high school at Thomas Jefferson in VA.  (I will age myself, I was in the 2nd TJHS class.)  Every single teacher at that school was excellent.  I left after my freshman year because a 1 1/2 commute each way simply wan't healthy for me.

I am proud to say I graduated from Potomac Senior High in Dumfries, VA.  I great school, again populated by good to excellent teachers.  I was in advanced placement, gifted and talented, college prep tracked classes except for one.

I was placed in general English my first semester sophmore year.  NOT REMIAL ENGLISH.  But the huge gap between the standards and enviroment in this class and every other class I attended was staggering.  Simply put, the primary reason the students in the main track learned less was the class room enviroment.  This is not a knock agaisnt the teacher of that class.  She was great, but spent half her time maintaining control of the class room so that the students that wanted to learn could.  I was placed in advanced English the next semester.

But I learned as much in that class as I did in any other.  Not about the subject of English, but about interacting with others.  About how expectations affect education.  About how peer pressure affects how willing students are to BE educated.  About dealing with people of different social-economic backgrounds.  (I learned this in sports as well, but in sports athletic talent levels the playing field, pardon the pun.)

The single most shocking thing about this class came the day I graduated.  The teacher came up to me on my graduation day and said I was one of her favorite students because my presence improved the class as a whole.  The questions I asked sparked other students interest.  The fact that I was considered a jock (I played football and basketball - something that I could not have maintained doing at TJHS) I made it acceptable for others to engage in the class.

While I think everyone should be given the best chance to maximize their own education, does segmenting the student population deprive people of the interaction needed to make a complete society?  Is learning a few more technical skills in highschool worth the societial cost of creating the segments in society earlier and earlier.

Just thinking out loud.

I am a statistician, not a magician although we are easily confused. I guess that explains why people keep trying to tie me in chains and place me under water.

by Edge PA on Thu May 01, 2014 at 08:25:43 AM PDT

•  all students are entitled to excellent teaching (1+ / 0-)
      Edge PA

for too many bright students they do not get challenged the way they should.

I have students who are bright than I could ever hope to be, but simply because of how long I have lived at this point I know so much more that I can still challenge them.

Had I stayed in my current school next year I would have been teaching a class with some truly preternaturally gifted kids who have won prizes for their creativity at national and international levels.

I remember having wasted a LOT of time in a very good high school because I was NOT challenged - that was also true in junior high school.

In 11th grade I had an American History teacher who was constantly getting things wrong, and that frustrated me so I used to correct her, which of course infuriated her.  She tried once to shut me down by making a reference to material from Hinduism, but she got that wrong as well, so I corrected her there as well.

Yes, I was a bit obnoxious as well as being immature, but I was bored out of mind.

I think I can keep bright students challenged, far from being bored.

by teacherken on Thu May 01, 2014 at 08:38:44 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  You are the type of teacher (1+ / 0-)
        teacherken

I want my son to have.  (This is based on reading all your diaries - not just this one.)

While I am sure he is brillant, he is only 4 I don't know what track he will end up in.  And I will push to get him in the highest track possible.  But my point is, does that give him a complete education, and I am not talking about questions on a test.  Second, does that give society the best return on its few exceptional teaching resources.

I am also aware that the best teachers typically want the best students because they are the most rewarding.  Those teachers that chose to teach the worst of the students are a higher level of Saint than the typical teacher / saint.

Good luck on your new position.  You future students had a great day today.

by Edge PA on Thu May 01, 2014 at 08:53:35 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Congratulations! (0+ / 0-)

Having read your diary about your current situation, I'd thought it would be a shame if you had left teaching.

Very happy to see that you're moving on!

The purpose of live is to live a life of purpose...and serve your neighbors with joy and love and make a positive difference in their lives.

by MinervainNH on Thu May 01, 2014 at 08:26:38 AM PDT

•  Just say "ceteris paribus" after everything (0+ / 0-)

If you're doing the AP class then just plan a one day discussion on what it means that everything around economics contains that phrase and what it means to actually trying to use "basic economics" in the real world when nothing is ever "ceteris paribus".  :D

•  Congratulations on coaching in the "NFL", Ken (0+ / 0-)

I am referring to the National Forensics League, which today announced its topic for the upcoming school year (if your school is in the NFL, of course!):

Thursday, May 01, 2014

The TOPIC AREA for the 2014 National Tournament is "Russia and NATO."

Based on a nationwide vote, the Nationals 2014 Public Forum topic is, Resolved: NATO should strengthen its relationship with Ukraine in order to deter further Russian aggression.

A total of 351 schools and 152 students voted for the resolution. The winning resolution received 52% of the school vote and 43% percent of the student vote.

========
    This is a BOFFO topic that will lead to many spirited and interesting contests!

Back in my first year of Forensics, and that was a long time ago, our topic was Resolved: That the foreign aid program of the United States should be limited to non-military assistance.

Our wise and good coach suggested that this was a perfect topic on which to mount an "Affirmative negative" strategy. Using Amitai Etzioni's "Protracted Conflict" as our source, we developed an approach where, when we argued the Negative, we adopted a position favoring "Civic Action", whereby national military forces would be charged with infrastructure tasks such as building roads, dams, waterways, etc. ergo we were providing "non-military" aid to the military of favored countries.

Remember, this was the height of the Cold War and Vietnam was in its maximum buildup stage. The world was on fire!

We used this tack when we argued the Affirmative, too, but when we were the Negative, the look of stunned disbelief on the faces of our opponents as we forced them to play defense was memorable.

We rode this strategy to a victory in our city championship that year, and it was all due to the leadership our sponsor/coach/moderator provided. Plus, he drove us to the tournaments in the school vehicle, which was a rehabbed funeral wagon...when we arrived and were given quizzical looks we said we were the undertakers, here to take out the bodies, and that we did...

•  a couple of things (0+ / 0-)

for now I am supposedly just the sponsor, with an experienced outsider supposedly the coach, although not clear if person is continuing

second, the team went to nationals in the national catholic league - not sure why, but at least that is how I remember it being described to

but thanks for sharing

by teacherken on Thu May 01, 2014 at 09:58:57 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Congratulations! (0+ / 0-)

I hope you enjoy it a great deal.  I am excited for you.  You are very bright. I am sure you will do well.

The GOP: Fearing things that have never existed while ignoring things that have always existed, i.e. gun registration/starvation.

by StevenJoseph on Thu May 01, 2014 at 10:20:25 AM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site